Saturday, March 12, 2011

Safeway Secrets

I’m not gonna pretend I know anything about life outside our planet – who really can? But what happened last night, got me thinking…

I was standing in line at the 19th and Taraval Safeway with my frozen dinner, when I overheard two guys talking behind me. They each had a beer pack in hand and were muttering quietly to each other. As the lady in front of me haggled with the cashier about how her debit card really did have money on it, I couldn’t help but listen in on the hushed conversation:

“Dude, it was real.”
“No way dude, it must have been our imagination.”
“There’s no way we were imaging the same thing at the same time!”
“Maybe it was a shooting star.”
“But it wasn’t moving. It was just there.”
“Maybe it was a spaceship that NASA forgot about, I don’t know!”
“Exactly! I definitely think it was a spaceship, but seriously dude, NASA doesn’t just forget about its spaceships.”
“Maybe WE should just forget about it.”
“No way man, I know what I saw. And it was weird.”

Just as my interest was piqued, debit card lady loudly interrupted my thoughts by angrily throwing dollar bills at the poor cashier. The guys behind me stopped too, even though I desperately wanted to hear more.

Then, as I greeted the cashier and set down my Lean Cuisine, the guys starting talking again.

“Dude, you saw it appear and disappear just like I did.”
“I seriously think it was a trick of the eyes.”
“I bet you it’s still out there.”
“But when we left, it was gone.”
“Or just invisible.”

Totally rapt in the story, I didn’t even hear the cashier fumble over my last name with my receipt. Finally, the cashier’s “Excuse me, miss?” caught my attention and I was forced to turn away and begrudgingly go home. 

After all, I’m not one to interact with strangers.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, yeah, I've been hearing some interesting stuff lately, too. I just stumbled upon your blog and was stunned to realize that you have been hearing about similar occurrences. I've overheard some people talking about not only this incident, but also some spectacular, albeit brief light shows up in northern California as well. I myself recently have seen some strange phenomena as well... You can read my blog to find out more.

    ReplyDelete